Your recap is here! Let us know what you think of what’s going on in Montgomery.
In this week’s Top Five, we get updates on the the lottery and gambling bill, medical marijuana, and more!
1. Senate defeats lottery and gambling omnibus legislation.
2. …and oh was he right. The lottery is back already.
3. API’s Phil Williams speaks in opposition to the medical marijuana bill at a House hearing.
4. A bill that was killed in committee last week has come back from the dead, this time with a lot of support.
5. SB97, another bill that would rebalance the balance of power in Montgomery, is held up.
Other things that you might want to know about:
- A bill (SB265) that would ban discrimination on the basis of hairstyle in regard to employment, public accommodations, and housing received a favorable report in the Senate Judiciary Committee this week.
- There may be a new crime in Alabama soon. A bill passed in the House would ban “doxing” or the posting of another’s private information online with the intent that it will lead to harassment or harm. The penalty would be a Class A misdemeanor and up to a year in prison.