Your recap is here! Let us know what you think of what’s going on in Montgomery.
In this week’s Top Six, we get updates on the education budget, a transgender bill, and more!
1. As federal money comes to Alabama schools, Senate approves largest education budget ever.
2. House approves bill banning transgender participation in some sports.
3. Bill protecting children born during an attempted abortion heads to the Senate.
4. Riot penalties could be going up.
5. Dogs aren’t allowed at restaurants. But they might be soon.
6. Teacher pay for STEM subjects could go way up in exchange for tenure.
Other things that you might want to know about:
- Measures allowing Alabama to create a state lottery passed committee in the Senate this week. Senate Pro Tem Del Marsh has also said that the casino issue could come up again this session. If so, they’ll have to move. The session is over halfway over.
- Alabama is one of 28 states that allow the death penalty. One bill by a group of democratic state senators, HB544, would end it.
- SB10, the transgender surgery bill, was approved in the House Health Committee Tuesday. The full House is next.